Phlebotomist I (Laboratory Department)Apply Now
Phlebotomists are required to perform phlebotomy functions, order entry, order supplies as well as other duties as assigned. Critical thinking, being able to multi-task, and maintain accuracy during periods of frequent interruptions in a fast-paced environment. Staff maybe required to work at all SUMMIT laboratory locations.
- Performs phlebotomy and specimen collection duties according to established procedures
- Perform phlebotomy procedures following the standards of practice as outlined in procedures while working within the boundaries of the phlebotomy scope of practice.
- Meets all competency requirements and training timelines.
- Accurately answer internal/external customer's questions for proper ordering, collection, and trouble shooting of multiple sample types.
- Performs drug screen collection.
- Obtain and enter appropriate patient or specimen information into laboratory computer system.
- Perform QA checks and reports any variances to the laboratory supervisor.
- Checks patients in and orders lab tests into the Laboratory Information System.
- Verify patient insurance and demographics.
- Performs order entry, clarify clinician orders and obtain pertinent patient information.
- Participates in the, faxing, phoning and delivery of results.
- Aids in the training of new hires, students and non-lab SUMMIT employees
- Trains and reports on the work performance of other Laboratory Assistants.
- Cleans equipment and maintains overall neatness and supplies of the laboratory.
General Job functions:
- Other job duties as require
- Combative Patients / Visitors
- Exposure to infectious hazards, blood, body fluids, non-intact skin or tissue specimens.
- Contact with patients or patient specimens are possible.
- Unplanned or unexpected exposure.
Education, Certification, Computer and Training Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of one year phlebotomy experience, and drug screen collection preferred.
- Phlebotomy Technician Certification through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) preferred; must be obtained within one year of start date.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory requirements to include skills in phlebotomy techniques with adult, pediatric, and geriatric patients, computer/data entry skills and phone etiquette are required.
- Attentions to detail, ability to critically think, multitask, and maintain accuracy during periods of frequent interruptions in a fast-paced environment.
- Consistently demonstrate the ability to communicate in a clear and effective manner and read/follow procedures accurately.
- Strong leadership skills are preferred.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Endurance (e.g. continuous typing, prolonged standing/bending, walking)
Use your profile to find a job that fits your background.Start Matching