Patient Service Representative - Surgical Scheduler - Gastroenterology
Essential Job functions:
- Responsible for greeting patients/family, scheduling patient appointments, scheduling hospital and ambulatory admissions/procedures. Ensure appropriate action was taken in a timely manner.
- Answer the telephone promptly and dealing with callers needs expediously. Directs all calls appropriately, takes an accurate message and delivers to the appropriate individual. Demonstrates appropriate telephone etiquette.
- Schedules future appointments, tests, and completes referrals as ordered by the physician.
- Maintains communication resources, i.e. on-call schedule, MD phone numbers and beeper numbers.
- Prepares charts for new patients assuring all required forms are placed appropriately in the chart. Converts from temporary to permanent record before close of the day.
- Requests medical records and performs chart preparation to provide physician with all information needed for visit prior to the actual exam, evaluation, procedure, or treatment. Prints minimal medical records information needed from electronic record if chart is not available
- Reconciles encounters daily according to policy and guidelines.
- Monitors supply inventory, completes and directs requisitions for supplies, forms, equipment or services.
- Performs various clerical duties including faxing, photocopying, filing and mailings.
- Obtains, verifies and updates patient information; maintains confidentiality according to policies
- Accurately completes any/all necessary forms for the patients.
- Respects patient's rights by knocking on the door, calling patient by name and identifying self before entering the patient's room.
- Establishes and maintains a positive working relationship with physicians and nursing staff
- Protects the privacy and confidentiality of patients and employees.
- Communicates any problems, equipment concerns or issues promptly to the Nurse Manager.
General Job functions:
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of booking and scheduling inpatient, outpatient and special procedures.
- Arranges for specialty equipment/ services.
- Interacts with outside vendors / contracted services.
- Demonstrates understanding of submission of necessary documents for hospital.
- Verbalizes procedure for collection of pre-admission testing data.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of insurance and pre-certification requirements.
- Arranges types and distributes schedule.
- Maintains office supplies and equipment.
- Provides training to other office staff.
- Logs surgical procedures.
- Maintains scheduling system. Demonstrates working knowledge for rescheduling and canceling procedures.
- Verbalizes customer service skills to alleviate patient anxiety.
- Demonstrates customer service skills when communicating with peers.
- Collates and submits information.
- Communicates repair orders to appropriate personnel.
- Demonstrates good judgment in scheduling procedure to increase physician productivity.
- Demonstrates understanding of fire safety and emergency procedures.
- Other job duties as required.
- Chemicals, Chemotherapy and Fumes
- Loud noises
- Extreme temperatures
- Confined spaces
- Allergens: dust, mold and/or pollen
- Magnetic fields
- Combative Patients/Visitors
- Exposure to infectious hazards, blood, body fluids, non-intact skin, or tissue specimens.
- Contact with patients or patient specimens are possible.
- Unplanned or unexpected exposure.
Education, Certification, Computer and Training Requirements:
- High School Graduate or GED required. Associate Degree preferred.
- Previous PSR experience preferred. Previous office experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Must have accurate computer data entry skills.
- Must have the ability to organize and perform multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of medical office and terminology preferred.
- Basic proficiency in computer use required. Previous experience with Standard Office Technology in a Window based environment preferred.
- Experience with EHR, Practice Management System and Departmental/Ancillary Systems preferred.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Pushing and pulling, taking frequency and weight into consideration.
- Physical strength to lift heavy objects, carts, or items, taking frequency and weight into consideration.
- Physical mobility, which includes movement from place to place on the job, taking distance and speed into account.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers.
- Balance is maintained during climbing, bending and/or reaching.
- Endurance (e.g. continuous typing, prolonged standing/bending, walking).
- Travel to satellite locations for meetings
Use your profile to find a job that fits your background.Start Matching