Patient Service Rep (Receptionist) - Laboratory DepartmentApply Now
The Patient Service Representative (PSR) is responsible for a variety of administration functions, including, but not limited to: greeting patients/families, scheduling appointments and tests in an efficient and timely manner, answering the telephone promptly and dealing with the caller's needs in a professional manner, collecting cash payments, issuing receipts and posting payments, daily extensive computer use navigating multiple applications. The PSR maintains an efficient patient flow through the registration process and provides excellent customer service to patients/families.
Essential Functions (greater than or equal to 10% of time):
- Greets visitors, patients, and families in a friendly professional manner and directs them appropriately.
- Communicates proactively with co-workers, physicians and patients regarding registration related information.
- Informs patients of delay in physician schedules, assists with patient comfort while delayed
- Posts all self-pay charges, collects payments, and provides patient with receipt
- Accurately reconciles daily payments
- Opens and closes batches properly, accurately reconciles collections, prepares deposits and documents corrections.
- Scans the insurance card, processes insurance verifications utilizing the on-line system, and updates the patient account.
- Obtains, verifies and updates patient information including demographics, insurance, HIPAA forms and financial waivers
- Accurately explains and completes any/all necessary forms for the patient, obtains and witnesses necessary signatures
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the insurance grid for all services performed; explains par and non-par insurance plans.
- Appropriately refers applicable patients to financial counselors
- Schedules appointments accurately according to department guidelines; using waitlist when applicable.
- Schedules and enters orders for diagnostic tests, and procedures , following all appropriate workflows
- Reconciles billing slips to daily schedule.
- Works cooperatively with Patient Care Resources and clinical staff to ensure timely pre-authorizations.
- Completes referrals according to departmental guidelines and properly enters into the appropriate system.
- Performs various clerical duties such as faxing, photocopying, scanning, filing and mailings.
- Effectively communicates problems, concerns, or issues to the Office Supervisor / Manager appropriately and promptly.
- Promptly answers the telephone, directs all calls appropriately, takes an accurate message and delivers to the appropriate individual/demonstrates appropriate etiquette.
- Confirms future appointments as needed. Review Eligibility and Phone report
- Demonstrates flexibility with various work schedules, covers for other staff when asked including other office locations
- Working knowledge of management of the Athena workflow dashboard
- Demonstrates the ability to adequately follow downtime procedures
- Recognizes and performs duties which need to be performed although not directly assigned
General Job Functions:
- Other duties as assigned.
- Extreme temperatures
- Combative Patients / Visitors
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Graduate/GED / Equivalent required. Vocational / Technical School / Diploma Program preferred.
- Associate's Degree, preferred
- 0 - 1 years' experience. 2-4 years' experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing, required
- Ability to organize and perform multiple tasks in a timely manner, required
- Basic proficiency in computer use, required
- Knowledge of medical office and terminology, preferred
- Ability to commute to satellite offices as needed, required
- Standard Office Equipment (Phone, Fax, Copy Machine, Scanner, Email/Voice Mail)
- Standard Office Technology in a Window based environment
- EHR, Practice Management System and Departmental/Ancillary Systems
Physical Job Requirements:
- Physical mobility, which includes movement from place to place on the job, taking distance and speed into account.
- Physical agility, which includes ability to maneuver body while in place.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers.
Use your profile to find a job that fits your background.Start Matching